Sunday, June 12, 2011

Jesse's WIN

Jesse is first on the race result. Go Jesse!


Racing here in Colorado is very different than racing in Nebraska. We have actual mountains, we live at over 9,000ft and the competition here is rough. Everyone here is great at racing- it's not just a hobby.

Jesse raced today in a large race with mega competition and WON!!! He is now a cat (category) 2 racer- last year he was a 3. We knew him racing with more competition would mean a bigger challenge, but he won! I started to cry. I love nothing more than seeing Jesse so happy that he's nearly moved to tears. However, we didn't know he won...

He started his race and within the first 1/2 mile, he was away from the pack (because he sprinted when he started- he left the others in the dust quite a way back) and saw a dude in front of him riding fast. He followed him and ended up in a parking lot! The dude he followed turned around and yelled, "I'm not racing! Go back! Go back!" After swearing for a bit, Jesse turned and got back to the path. He was convinced he had fallen to the rear of his category. He finished and I noticed no one finished before him. I really didn't think much of it since there are so many categories racing at the same time and different cat's finish at different times. The race announcer only said Jesse's name as he came through the finish line, not that he won. So, I stood there cheering him on and said "good job honey".

We sat on the grass with other racers eating our catered fish taco burrito thing (that was healthy and amazing!) and beer and when the results were posted, Jesse went to look. I saw him walking back to me and he was saying, "I won! I won! I won!" I stood and nearly tackled him with hugs. I AM SO PROUD OF HIM. What a stud. Go Jesse! To all of you who don't know much about bike racing, this is a big deal. Not many people actually win races and this is Jesse's second. What a guy.


Jesse and his teammate from Nebraska, Ryan Cech, before the race.

Maximus and Pops after the race enjoying oranges.


Jesse proudly holding Maximus on the first place step of the podium after the race. We don't know what happened to the dude who got second.


I am so proud of my honey!

No comments: