Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The playground

Yesterday was the first warmish day in a long time. When the high is only 6 degrees, people flock to be outdoors when the temperature reaches 35 and the sun comes out. Nebraska winters make Salt Lake City feel like southern California.

The last time Maximus went to the park, he was only able to crawl and couldn't really do much. Now that he's walking and jogging around the house, I jumped all over the opportunity to take him to the playground. I bundled him up and away we went to the elementary school we live near. Once we got there, I took him out of his stroller and set him down in the wood chips that surrounded the playground equipment. A little girl and her dad were playing, and Max froze. He stood there for what seemed like 10 minutes! The little girl asked, "Can your baby walk?" Finally Handsomer went wild. He just took off! He was focused on picking up wood chips on one side of the playground and putting them on the other side. I took him up on the jungle gym thing and he paced the little bridge several times. He even slid down the slide. We spent an hour playing and we left after his little nose turned an odd shade of purple and I was shivering. He had a great time and so did I.
This is what he did for the first little while.
He's more interested in the wood chips than the playground toys.

The bridge to handsomeness.


As we were leaving, we walked past one of the classrooms and I noticed this:

This isn't a high school, it's an elementary school! I never thought I'd see something like this, especially when we live in the "ritzy" neighborhood. I'm against homeschooling, but seeing a "no gun" sign next to a holiday decoration makes me want to keep Maximus home as long as possible.

Here's a video of Handsomer being busy...

1 comment:

Amanda C said...

I love his little walk. And if Utah is Southern California compared to Nebraska then praise the lord I am in Utah! I am freezing my butt off here and have resorted to thermal underclothing!

And I am with you. The No guns thing is a little strange.