Tuesday, December 8, 2009

California

I'm back! I apologize to the 4 people who read my blog that I haven't posted anything for a while.
Wednesday, November 18 my grandmother passed away. We were all completely shocked as the news hit us like a ton of bricks. The Saturday after Thanksgiving, I flew to California for a few days. I'm not going to write much about the whole thing because I'm still so sad, but getting better each day.
Although the reason my family gathered in California was for a death, it was so good to be with them. My brother and I both flew into Los Angeles within an hour of each other, so we met up and ate In-N-Out on Sepulveda (the main street of LAX) within the first 30 minutes of arriving in California. My brother is a very professional, quiet, deep intellectual. We had a lot of driving time together during the weekend and we bonded in a way I thought I'd have with my brother. After the trip, he sent me a birthday card and he actually opened up a bit emotionally. That's a card I won't ever throw away.
Here are several pictures from the trip...
Dad, me, Mel, Dave and mom at the graveside service.


My grandmothers casket was so her. Pink and gold with delicate flowers.
At home before we left for the service.

On a much lighter note- this is Chickie. My parents have 2 chihuahuas and they are mother and daughter. Chickie is missing teeth, so her tongue hangs out ALL THE TIME! I honestly hate chihuahuas, but Chickie and Marley are awesome dogs. They're so loving and smart! I made them sleep with me during the trip and now I miss saying, "Marley! Be nice to your mother!"I had to snap this picture one morning. My dad will be running and exercising daily until he's 105. The man is a machine. And he's notorious for wearing some of the most ridiculous workout gear. This get up isn't bad at all, but it's just how I'll always think of him. He's shorter now too- about my height.

My sisters daughter, Mary on the zip line in my parents back yard. My sister is tiny and so is her husband, so they have have these miniature- almost pocket-sized kids.
Outside the restaurant my grandmother loved after the services.
Me, mom, Aunt Al and Anne. Alice is my grandmothers older sister. When my grandmother died, she decided to move to the east coast with her daughter Anne. Her Pug dog (Babe) will have to fly alone! I just found out that Alice had exploratory surgery a few days ago because she suddenly couldn't swallow, was in a lot of pain and had a flipped bowel. She's in ICU for the next 5 weeks and is doing better. Wow, out of nowhere. I'm so glad I was able to see my family. I can't explain how nice it was to be with my family again. I only wished Maximus and Jesse were with me. Anne (on the end) is one of the funniest people I know. She is a hoot.
Three of the four kids of my sisters: Mary, Eliza and the youngest Jared aka:punk.
My one and only cousin Coli. I wish I lived closer to this girl. She's awesome. And her husband makes fun of her nose just as much as Jesse makes fun of mine. And her husband is a huge Cowboys fan like Jesse. She's expecting her son Ezekiel in about 10 weeks.
My favorite picture of all. I stood up at the restaurant and took a picture without telling anyone, but somehow my dad saw the opportunity and is the only person posing in this shot. I keep laughing!

I took a few pictures of the West Covina house that has changed so much. I love it!

Front porch...my dad swept the leaves 10 minutes prior to me taking this picture.

Livingroom...
Family room...

She has the silent washer and dryer that I want.
My dads marathon picture.The desk off the kitchen. I don't get my mothers chicken thing...

2 comments:

Christy said...

Ah, you have invoked in me a fair bit of nostalgia, even though I didn't go to your house that much. I always liked your parents, so it's fun to see pictures of them.

My parents have moved away, to Arizona, so there's no telling if I'll ever get back to Covina. That really makes me sad!

It's a sad thing that family reunions frequently happen around terribly sad events, but at least they do happen, and it provides support for everyone.

I'm glad you're feeling better some... reading this, thinking about my own close grandma, has got me crying a bit, and it's been seven years. So it gets better, but the emotion will always be there. *hugs*

Stacey said...

I wish I could give you a hug! It is SO difficult still to even talk about her. Her sister's health started to fail a week after she died. I talk to my family daily and I wish more than anything we lived closer so I could be with them more. Her passing brought me closer to my family and re-bonded us in a way I never thought possible.

On a lighter note, visiting Southern California doesn't make me want to live there again. I like the warm weather, but I like actual seasons more. The people were so cool though. It was awesome to see such diversity and be around the general "laid backness" southern Californians have.