Thursday, January 6, 2011

Moose!

I literally had a conversation with my mom today about the moose in our neighborhood. Then, I get a text message from our cool landlord telling me there was one in the cul-de-sac and about 3 doors down. Maximus and I drove (for safety) 75 feet away and SAW A MOOSE.

This thing was seriously the size of a Jeep Cherokee. I've seen moose before, but not this size. He even had a huge rack on his head. This picture is awful because it's from my cell phone and I didn't want to get close, but you can see his dark body and white legs behind the trees.
He was eating some kind of plant over there. A small child came running out of her house while yelling, "moose mom!" before her mother could catch her and the moose looked over his shoulder at the girl and then looked away. Maximus and I watched him for a good 20 minutes and then he went behind some homes into the field where Maximus first learned to snowboard. It was stunning to see. Earlier today as Maximus and I drove to Keystone Ski Resort, I was in awe of the beauty here. Dozens of steep rocky mountains, blue sky, blinding white snow, a huge frozen lake, the wind blowing snow off the mountain peaks. Everything here is nature at it's very best. Maximus and I cuddled in bed this morning and looked out our bedroom window to see this:

And here's a sunset from a few weeks ago. I took this on the back deck.

No comments: