Monday, March 28, 2011

Potty Training an Epic Child

A few days ago, Jesse and I had it with diapers. We decided no more, except at night. Maximus can snowboard, so HE HAS TO LEARN TO PEE AND POOP IN THE POTTY.

He can pee in the potty. He's got that down for the most part. If he's busy having fun, he'll forget and go in his pants and we expected that. No biggie. One of the biggest challenges I've ever faced in my freaking life is getting through to him that he needs to poop in the potty. He's totally fine with going in his underpants!

Saturday was awful. Maximus and I stayed home when Jesse went snowboarding and my plan was to follow him around and ask him every 20 minutes to go potty. He did great with the pee. Only one accident. However, the poop thing was insane. The first time he stood by the fireplace and had that "look" on his face. I asked him if I could look in his underpants and he freaked. I looked and he said, "me poop mom". I'm using patience that I never knew I had, so I calmly walked him into the bathroom, dumped his poop in the potty and flushed it. Seriously, 20 minutes later we were upstairs and he ran out of the room yelling, "no me need uh (to) poop". He ran down stairs, stood in the corner and dropped a softball sized duke in his underpants.

I'm like, COME ON DUDE!!!

Yesterday he peed at home and after we got to the Levi outlet store, he hid in a rack of clothes and pooped.

How do I get him over the comfort of pooping in his underpants?! I bribe him, nothing. I tell him it makes me sad, nothing. He sees me gag and tells me not to gag, nothing. I literally sat on the bathroom floor crying Saturday, nothing.

He can snowboard, swim, ride a bike, catch and kick a ball better than any of the other kids in his class, hit a ball right out of the air, play hockey accurately, but why can't he poop in the potty?! Can you tell I'm frustrated? I need suggestions. Please deal with my frustrated blog posts because it's my only outlet as I'm remaining calm in front of Maximus as I'm freaking out inside.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Of course, now that he's actually gone in the potty, do I see this post...!

What if he was afraid to sit over the toilet? Big open space, cold air, nakie heinie, balancing there...?