Monday, March 28, 2011

Smoking

I smoked for a few years. I started during chemotherapy as a coping mechanism...pathetic, I know. When I found out I was pregnant, I quit cold turkey because it was one simple selfless thing I could do for the health of my Maximus. After he was born and I smelled cigarette smoke, I wanted to try it again...just a little bit. And I did, just a few a year, every now and then.

I started working out and made it a HUGE part of my life for the last couple of years. I no longer have a desire for it and frankly, it disgusts me. I don't even want my child to see anyone smoking. Our guests this weekend smoke a bit. They are polite and respectful and keep it primarily hidden from Maximus, which I am so thankful for. They hide in the backyard and respect our lifestyle. Tonight I walked by the kitchen table and noticed a pack of Camel's on it and was very proud that I was kind of grossed out. I used to think they smelled good, but no...not anymore. Yeah, I'm patting myself on my back that I no longer have that addiction.

I'm writing this because I'm proud of myself! I used to LOVE smoking, especially with alcohol, and now...now I rarely drink and I think cig's are GROSS! I know of the damage they can cause and I'm glad Jesse and I have removed them from our life.

Like with many of my opinionated blog posts, I'm going to get some nasty remarks and comments behind my back. I don't care. I've been on both sides of the fence and I have a valid reason.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Firstly, I love your new blog theme!

Secondly, I know people can get defensive about it, but I don't see how smokers have any ground to stand on. They KNOW what it does to them. They KNOW how it affects people they do it around. Some smokers are very considerate, but so many of them are tremendously inconsiderate. Leaving their butts everywhere, smoking without regard for anyone's comfort... I'm very glad you're on this side of the fence now.

Stacey said...

I know, right? Me too. I really feel like I accomplished something. I walked by the pack on my table and instead of thinking, "ooh, one would be nice" I thought, "oh barf" and then I smiled. You should hear Jesse's thoughts on this matter. Oh boy.