Sunday, May 22, 2011

Catching Up

Since this blog isn't JUST about Maximus, I decided to write a little about what's been going on with the rest of us lately. Pretty much we live boring lives of training athletes, but we do have somewhat of a life.

Jesse raced both Saturday and Sunday of this weekend in Salida, CO- about an hour and a half away. I've been battling a nasty cold, so Maximus and I stayed home. I hate missing Jesse's races. I'm his biggest cheerleader! He did better today but hurt his leg. He's glad he raced and it looks like this year will be similar to last- doing well in the races at the beginning of the season and then rocking them and winning them toward the end. I love that he races. Besides racing, he's doing great. He has his little personal bike mechanic shop set up in the basement and has been working on people's bikes, including that of a pro snowboarder! (He even beat Shawn White!) Here's Maximus checking out pops' racing wound.


I made some delightful and nutritious homemade chicken and whole wheat noodle soup for my cold and a worn out Jesse today. It hit the spot.


While Jesse was in Salida, Maximus and I hung out. Yesterday was a bit hard until we both took a 3 hour nap. Today I took Maximus and our bikes and went out. We rode the paved trail and I also took him on some single track through the woods. For a 3 year old, he did incredibly well!


I always tell my mom about the herd of 20 or so elk that live in our neighborhood. They are often out in the main field grazing. Many afternoons when I drive past, I notice them just laying down soaking up the sun. Jesse thinks I'm lame for thinking they are so cool, but they are! Click on the picture below to see them better.


Our dog, Jackie, is still doing okay. She's old and losing her mind. I found her Friday night at 11:30pm in the dark kitchen staring into the darkness. I called her name and after a moment, she snapped out of it and looked at me. I carried her upstairs and put her to bed. However, this evening I was able to get her out on a nice walk and she acted as herself again. We even ran into moose poop!


My Aunt Alice recently passed at age 90 and it hit me pretty hard. She was my grandmothers sister and the only one of the siblings left. She lived such a wonderful life and left comfortably. I'll never forget the fun I used to have shopping with her and my grandmother when I was a kid. I've learned that the memories are truly what you clutch to.

I'm spending most of my time marathon training. I train while Maximus is in school and the other day I ran 8.17 miles without stopping. My weeks are filled with shorter 3, 4, 6 mile runs and I do a 10 miler this next weekend. The miles increase at the weekends until I run 20 miles 2 times before my marathon in October. I know I can do it, even with the damage to my bones from rheumatoid arthritis. I want to run this before I start harsh treatment that will make me feel sick. I am so grateful that Jesse is as supportive as he is. I love that we have a relationship where we encourage each other. I'm excited to have my parents be present at the marathon. I pretty much run, make and sell the burritos/sack lunches, do housework, make nutritious meals for my family and pass out at bedtime. It's fun and I love it.


Other than that, we love living up here. We're excited to have family and friends always visiting and we love that we've made friends so quickly. We miss Lincoln and the wonderful relationships we have there and we miss Salt Lake City as well. The plan is still to return to Salt Lake and it's looking more and more like it as time goes on. We love our dear little family and we're comfortable and happy. I know we're not old, but as we grow older together, we have established ethics and a lifestyle that are great for us. It just works!

1 comment:

Roundy Clan said...

Wow! You guys are constantly moving! Good for you. Sometime I want to try for a marathon. You rock