Thursday, June 9, 2011

Nick Jr.


I know my opinion on this isn't mainstream, because Nick Jr is one of the biggest channels for little kids. Nearly every parent has it on for their 2-7 year old. "Nick Junior- it's like preschool on tv" is their slogan.

Maximus would watch the channel Nick Jr once in a while. He really likes "Dora the Explorer" and "The Upside Down Show". I will no longer allow him to watch the insanely popular show "Yo Gabba Gabba" because it's SO stimulating! What 3 year old (or even younger) needs that much stimulation?! It makes me antsy.

I was talking to Maximus' teacher about tv in general. She said that young children are often over stimulated by television and can benefit the MOST from age appropriate toys or being outside. Now, when she mentioned being outside- she said not some little plastic playground that lacks natural grass, trees, etc., she means outside in the yard making up things to play with what's available. It not only helps a child problem solve, it's soothing, nurturing, healthy, his imagine and sense of wonder will thrive, and simple "outdoor play" reduces struggle, conflict and worry with little ones. She said simple wooden blocks can inspire creativity much better than any show can.

I really feel that Maximus needs to only watch an hour or less a day. We live in a house where the tv is NOT on during the day. Don't get me wrong, Maximus used to watch Nick Jr frequently, but the last few times I watched it, I was unimpressed. It's nothing like "preschool on tv". Nick Jr and mindless cartoons aren't needed for a little one. It's weird watching Maximus so zoned out when he watches cartoons. Lately, if he does watch tv, he watches National Geographic or the Science Channel. Turn off the tv and go outside!

No comments: