Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Jackie

Yesterday Jackie left us. She lived 20 years and spent her last 10 with us. I took her on countless hikes up in the Rocky Mountains, she killed rats and birds last summer, she loved to hunch over and sprint around the coffee table, and she lived for our evening walks. 

I am so heartbroken. Last night I walked out onto the back deck and quietly called her name. I half expected to see her come around the corner. Jesse sent me a text message saying he wishes I could just go back to the vet and pick her up. I wish that too. I know now that she's not suffering any longer. It still doesn't make any of this easy. 

This was the two of them yesterday morning before Maximus went to school. 



And this is how I want to remember her. Zipping around chasing us on our mountain bikes at the farm in Nebraska. GooGoo was loved by so many and she will be greatly missed. Rest in peace, Goog. 

2 comments:

Christy said...

A dog is such a wonderful thing. They are well worth the pain of the end, but it's so hard when you're in the middle of it. It sounds like you gave her an amazing life.

Christy said...

A dog is such a wonderful thing. They are well worth the pain of the end, but it's so hard when you're in the middle of it. It sounds like you gave her an amazing life.