Friday, October 17, 2008

Tornado alley!

We moved to Grand Island, Nebraska in April. Two weeks after moving here, we were hit with 2 tornadoes! I guess 2008 was the worst tornado season since 1980.

I was home when the first tornado hit. Jesse was driving home from work RIGHT IN THE PATH!!! The tornado was coming up I-80, going to cross Highway 281 and it was headed directly to Grand Island. Jesse was driving on 281 and about to cross I-80. The tornado horns were screaming, the skies were black, the hail was deafening and I had a sick child. (He wasn't sick, he got his shots that day and was acting under the weather) The Directv signal went out, so I was listening to the alerts on the radio. I remember hearing the announcer say, "people in or around Grand Island, take shelter immediately. If you are in a vehicle, pull over and lay in a ditch. I repeat, take shelter immediately!" I grabbed Maximus, the two dogs, Max's Tylenol and blankets and took shelter in the walk-in closet.

The tornado ended up JUMPING over Highway 281 and Jesse made it home safely. We left our house and went to a storm shelter down the street and waited it out.

I'd rather deal with the 6.0 earthquakes I've been through than another tornado. They suck. Literally.

Picture of the tornado I was talking about...


And the damage it caused...

1 comment:

Amanda C said...

SCARY! I am glad you are all okay.