Friday, November 21, 2008

Jesse's away, so I will play...

Jesse went on an overnight "hunting retreat" with his dad this evening. I was so happy to see how excited he was! And his dad (Danny) is a man of consistent mellow emotion. There's really only one word to describe Danny...and that's simply CHILL. Jesse's mom (Vicki) and I were talking about how excited Dan and Jesse were. They weren't jumping up and down, they didn't say they were excited or anything; they just came back from work, grabbed their stuff we packed for them, said goodbye and left quickly. They never sat down. Men are weird. And hunting? Whatever.

After Jesse left for his trip, I decided to have a wonderful date with a guy who is insanely handsome, loves to laugh, likes to play little games and who loves to cuddle at the end of the evening- Maximus Lane Handsomer Baby Shark Sherwood. We hung out at his Grandmas house and of course, she rewarded him with a new tow truck and we headed home. We played with his new little truck, countless games of "hide and seek", fetch with the dogs, we built a fort on the bed (blanket over our heads) and had a tickle fest. Handsomer even got to stay up a little past his bedtime.

He got so damn excited when he was in the kitchen and I started playing with his tow truck. He literally ran to it!
On the way home, we stopped for one of my favorite sandwiches from Jimmy Johns. Maximus ate some of the pickle that came with the sandwich and I scarfed it down. It was a treat on whole wheat.

It's funny to think that 2 years ago, spending a Friday night like this would have practically disgusted me. I would have rather gone out with my friends and party. Yeah, I was one of those girls. But after having our son, I am so incredibly grateful that I'm a mom and I couldn't imagine my life without our little boy. I was thinking about how things happened and I realized that we're truly lucky to have him after my battle with cancer. I was literally "let's do one more round of chemotherapy" away from not being able to have children. We love and adore him and we're his biggest fans.

1 comment:

Roundy Clan said...

Jimmy Johns is my favorite! I had them yesterday but I am afraid they are the only sandwich place where I get white bread instead of the wheat. MMMMMMMMM and I know what you mean about being a mom. There is something so special about it and I am SO glad you got the opportunity to be one. :)