Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A morning of broken glass, 13 steps and a scarf

...and the worst mother of the year award goes to...
ME.

I was making Max a little fleece blankie this morning. I was working on it in the kitchen as Max crawled around with a packet of wipes that I keep near his high chair. He likes to carry the wipes around the house because the package crunches and makes noise. I was literally 3 feet away from the cabinet he was standing near. In the back of the cabinet, there was a wine glass. It took him only one second to grab that glass and drop it on the floor. It shattered right at his feet and I'm so lucky he didn't get hurt! What a freakin' idiot I am! I spun around, gasped and scooped him up in a nano second. Then I cried because I'm a freakin' idiot of a mom!
After the glass shattering accident, he was a little cranky. He hasn't really been a friend today, so I hope he's not feeling ill. He was standing up and had this look on his face that said, "mom, I'm walking toward you with my arms out and crying, so pleeeease hold me" and he took THIRTEEN STEPS to my legs and then hugged me. Oh man, it was the most adorable thing ever. He's getting better at walking and he sits down after taking a few steps. And he's only 9 months old! (I'm sort of proud, if you couldn't tell)

I finished his little blankie and made him a scarf with the remnants. So cute.


2 comments:

Roundy Clan said...

You are NOT the worse mother ever! Stuff like that happens. When Tyler was 15 months old I accidentally locked myself out of the house and he was inside all by himself! Yeah, BAD! Max is just getting ready to walk and now he'll be into everything so now you know to go around and child proof a little better. :) and at 9 months, your kid rocks!

Amanda C said...

You are so not the worst mother. What a cute blanket and scarf!