Monday, February 16, 2009

Dive in!

My friend asked me to make her a cookbook of pretty much everything Jesse and I eat for dinner during the span of 2 months. Of course I will! So, I'll be posting more recipes as I come across them.


Have I mentioned my love for turning unhealthy recipes into healthy ones? I think so. Anyway, sometimes I'm a glutton for things that are so bad for you. Example: cheeseburgers. Who doesn't love a freakin' cheeseburger? Sorry Starr :) I break down and have one with a couple of beers about every two weeks. They keep me sane. I didn't eat meat growing up, so I acquired a love for it. And who doesn't love a taco salad? There's something about the savory meat, cheese, guacamole, crisp lettuce and sour cream. I made taco salads for dinner a couple weeks ago and managed to cut way back on the saturated fats, sugar, calories, sodium and then added good fats and soy protein. And seriously, look at it. You can dive into this no-brainer salad and not feel like a fat ass afterward.




Use this stuff. You can't tell the difference and I personally, love the taste of this. It's naturally flavorful and I added only 1/2 pack of taco seasoning to cut the sodium levels down.





And why not try a mixture of soy cheese and organic cheese? It tastes great. I found some soy cheese that was the best I've ever had. It was just HyVee Health Market Organic soy cheese. It melted the same and the texture was perfect.

Just add olives, fresh avocado, fat-free sour cream, crisp romaine lettuce with baby field greens, no salt added pinto beans (or black beans) and crumble these chips on top. These chips rock our world. We eat them like they're going out of style. The brand is Plocky's and they're made only with whole grains and non-hydrogenated vegetable oil, soybean and sunflower oils. 4 grams of fat per serving and 0 grams of saturated fat make them only sound like they taste like cardboard, but even Jesse said they're the tastiest chip he's ever had.

1 comment:

Jake and Courtney said...

I love your recipe ideas. Please post more. :) I run out of dinner ideas and I'm always wanting to try healthier ways of living. Your the best. I hope your days are getting better and I'm so glad Mr. Anti Valentine celebrated with you this year. He can be a pretty nice guy huh? Ha Ha