Monday, February 2, 2009

He's already a year old!

According to Jesse, there's no better day to celebrate your first birthday than during the SuperBowl. People everywhere are celebrating! Jesse and I fought the nastiest flu earlier during the week, so we hoped that Maximus would feel great for his big day and he did.


Every boy needs an old school metal Tonka dump truck...



Hooray! I'm one!



We made sure that Max didn't run and bump into anything all week, so he wouldn't have any bruises for pictures on his first birthday. But...the day before, he took off sprinting through the kitchen and bashed his head into this tiny ledge on the hutch. The ledge is less than a quarter inch thick and he's slammed his head into it twice. And since he's so fair (thanks to Jesse), the smallest mark shows up so dark. Poor kid. He always has bruises. I guess that's just part of being a boy. Note to self: buy a baby helmet for the next kid.


We just couldn't let Handsomer eat a nasty sugar-loaded cake, so I made him one from scratch. It tasted so good! It was made with whole wheat pastry flour, soy milk, unsweetened applesauce and agave nectar, but the frosting actually had a tiny bit of sugar in it.
He didn't eat too much of it. He liked smashing it on his head instead.



It was such a fun day for him. Lots of people, lots of fun, lots of love and oh my god...the kid has more clothes than I thought he'd ever have. Thank you Danny and Vicki, Unk Da and Ashlie and Unk Fa! It was funny...as I gave him a bath that night, I thought it was cool that he made it a whole year without ever pooping in the tub. Then I look down and sure enough...


After he went to bed, Jesse and I looked at some of the pictures of Maximus taken when he was still in the hospital and I cried. I knew I would. Jesse said that next year at this time, we will be back home in Utah and most likely in a house that we own. Ahh.

3 comments:

Carly said...

Holy Cow, time goes by so fast! I can't believe he is one and I haven't got to see that cute little boy! I am glad you guys had a good day!Happy Birthday Max!

Starr said...

He is sooo cute! We can't wait for next year when we can all celebrate together. Happy Birthday Max. They will be so cute together...

Jake and Courtney said...

Maximus's b-day pics are soooo cute. He is growing so quick. Your recipe sounds DELICIOUS. It made my mouth water when you were telling me about it. :) Send it to me on here or on my My Space. Thanks girly.