Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Quite possibly the best I've ever had

I made pulled pork tacos for dinner tonight because I miss Cafe Rio in Salt Lake City. I took a typical recipe and enhanced it with...love. (Actually, pure unsweetened cocoa powder) I giggled as I ate dinner. Sometimes my culinary skills truly amaze me. This recipe has made it to "Stacey's Top 5" or maybe even to "Stacey's Top 3". It's simply good. Don't be all weird about the cocoa powder. Authentic Mexican cooking uses it more than you think. There's only like, 3 ingredients in the recipe and you only need half a brain to make it. Try it and then judge it. As my mother used to say, "you never know unless you try"...2 cups Pace Medium Picante sauce
2 heaping teaspoons chili powder
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Sea salt
Couple shakes of cumin
2 and a half pound pork butt or shoulder, trimmed of excess fat
Organic corn tortillas
Sour cream
Lime wedges

In a large bowl, combine the salsa, chili powder, cumin, cocoa and salt. Mix until the cocoa powder is well incorporated. Pour mixture over the pork in a slow cooker. Cook, covered, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily. (High for 4-5 hours or low 7-8 hours...cooking on low is best) Warm the tortillas wrapped in foil in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes. Serve the pork shredded on the tortillas with lime, sour cream, pico, cheese or whatever you want.



And this will be my last blog from this computer...Jesse's bringing home a new Mac tonight! YEAH!

No comments: