Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Jackie's Journey (Part 1)

I took Jacqueline to the vet last Friday and was told she has mast cell cancer.  She had emergency surgery yesterday.  It was originally scheduled for this Friday, but Dr. Wilcox wanted it done immediately because mast cell cancer is very aggressive.  They removed an area of her chest that is the size of my palm.  Jackie's chest is only like, 4 inches across.  She's really little.  We have to wait 7-10 days while her blood work is being processed at KSU before knowing if Jack has years left to live, or only weeks.  I hope this week goes fast.  

I can't believe any of this and I'm in total shock.  I'm really hoping for the best, but it's difficult to be positive when she won't even get up.  She has to wear this bandage for two weeks and then they'll remove the stitches that cross her entire chest and x-ray her lungs.  If the cancer isn't in her lymph nodes yet, it may may not be in her lungs.  And of course, that's what we're hoping for.  They assured me that she's not in pain and if she does go, it'd most likely be painless.  C'mon, this is crazy.  

While I was petting her last night, I noticed that she has a hole in her ear.  It's in the same place where cattle get tags.  What?!  I don't know what kind of life she had before I rescued her, but if someone was sick enough to put a tag through her ear, they need to be shot.  While I was talking to my mom this morning, she said that regardless of how cruel someone could have treated her in the past, she'll only remember the last 5 or 6 years she's spent with me.  She's not going anywhere.  I guarantee it.  She may be little, but she's really a Mastiff in disguise.  

2 comments:

Christy said...

My heart is with you on this. :(
Re: hole in her ear: it's possible it's just from a dog fight, but if not, jeez. It's always astonishing to me how some people will mistreat animals with no regard at all for the animal. But I think it's true, that it's the life she had with YOU that is what's important to her now. It seems like rescues can be even sweeter pets than the ones you have from the beginning, because they have a different standard to appreciate you by.

Roundy Clan said...

I hope everything works out for the best! I am so sorry...