Thursday, May 21, 2009

Missionaries

I love when LDS missionaries are in the area and stop by. I always offer them water or soda or a snack. My brother served a mission in Ireland and a lot of my friends are Mormon, so I have respect for them and realize how hard a mission can be at times. I'm not LDS anymore, but I don't mind talking to the elders about stuff.

Two elders were walking by when I went to get the mail this morning. I said, "Hey elders!" to them and they stopped and asked how my morning was. We talked for a few minutes and I told them we're from Salt Lake, but they couldn't keep their eyes off my right arm. (Maybe the baby shark on it was freaking them out, I don't know) They asked if I was a member of "the" church and I told them I wasn't, but my family is. Of course they asked why, so I told them that I primarily grew up LDS, went to seminary, held callings, my brother served a mission and is now a devout Catholic but is married to a die-hard Mormon woman, I told them I worked at the JSMB (Joseph Smith Memorial Building), went to LDS Business College, met Gordon B. Hinkley twice and most of the Quorum of the Twelve, got married in the LDS temple and I even told them that I voluntarily had my records removed when I no longer agreed with the teachings of "the" church and I'm a very happy athiest. They asked why I left and I told them why. I won't write the reason because a few of my LDS friends will be reading this, but you don't see me standing on Temple Square in Salt Lake with an anti-Mormon sign in my hands. I'm still a good person.

The missionaries asked if I'd be interested in a few of the discussions and I said no. I said they could stop by any time for water or a snack if they were in the area. I understand the point of their mission. But since I'm not another convert for them, they quickly decided that they needed to go and actually said they'll pray for me in hopes that I'll "see the light again". Are you kidding me? I don't understand why they assume that I need "the light" to be happy. I couldn't imagine a better life than the one I'm living. I have everything I've ever wanted and I'm a good person! I'm different, but being different doesn't ruin a person. I told them that it saddened me to see how closed off they were and I wished them luck. I told them to stop by anytime.

I'm just writing this because every other set of elders who I've run into have been pretty cool. They respect my decision and lifestyle and I respect theirs. I'm stunned at how quickly they changed. Oh well. I can understand their beliefs and why they reacted that way because I was the same way several years ago. I think they just need a little more life experience too. Or maybe it's because they were uncomfortable wearing navy suits in the humid weather. Who knows.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I, also, like being friendly to LDS missionaries, and wish that they didn't have to be so single-minded with their time. I do understand that to them, everyone really DOES need to "see the light," but I am of the opinion of "what's wrong with just being a good person?" To me, that's what religion should be. A way to teach people to BE GOOD. That's all it needs to be. So many horrible things are done in the name of religion, I just can't stomach it. I just try to Be Good.

Roundy Clan said...

It's nice to hear you are nice to them. A lot of people who leave a church aren't nice to the members any more. I feel you on the pushy missionaries though. That chaps my hide too. I think many of them are too up tight! Also, this is your blog so I don't think you should sensor yourself! Say what you want too and if someone doesn't like it, tough for them