Friday, January 21, 2011

"Work"

I have an extremely part time "job". I get to work maybe 45 minutes a day out of my own beautiful kitchen making food for hungry dudes. This is my first week doing it and I love it! I make a load of breakfast burritos the night before and Jesse sells them at his job site. Now, don't think these are the healthy burritos we would typically eat...no...they are made white flour tortillas, sausage, loads of hash browns and cheese. I buy in bulk and make them cheap. I find myself baking a pound of bacon each afternoon- yikes! Anyway, Jesse brought home my "paycheck" today and I was pleasantly surprised!

I was planning to work when Maximus starts school, but my availability would be 2, maybe 3 days a week only between the hours of 9am - 11:15am. After hiring 500+ employees for Hilton, I realized that availability would make employers laugh. So this works out great! It's not a "real" job by any means, but man, it feels good to be contributing a little more. I'm actually looking forward to working almost full time when Maximus is in school full time. I LOVE being a stay at home mom and we're fortunate that I don't have to work outside the home like so many mothers are forced to do. But it will feel great to get back into a different type of work eventually. After working in stressful (yet empowering) positions with different employers and after enjoying the true joy of being home with Maximus, I decided that when I do return to work I need to be doing something I love: working with disabled adults who need help finding employment, cooking for others, or with children. Or...at a resort so Jesse and I can ski/snowboard free...hmm...

On the staying home note, Maximus said something today that was epic. As I made him lunch, he hung on my legs and said, "I wuv you mom." The use of "I" in place of "me" is a huge development in his speech. Maximus has a delay with phonological processes backing and works with a speech pathologist. This is a major step forward. I was happy to be home making him lunch to hear him say this.

No comments: