Monday, August 22, 2011

Relax Stacey, Relax

I don't know if it's this pregnancy or what, but I have been stressed out of my mind lately. I can't cope with things like I used to, Maximus is in a tough and trying phase in his life, I am sick, I am exhausted and this stay-at-home mom who has a near perfect life needs a break. With all the visitors we've had over the summer, they've enjoyed their vacations spent here, but we need one for ourselves. Our last visitors just left this morning and their stay was great. Don't get me wrong- all of our family and friends who visited had a great time and we did too.

My life is wonderful and we're fortunate I don't have to work so I can stay home to raise our children. I am able to devote my days to giving Maximus the best possible childhood we can provide. We don't have to worry financially, we have a strong relationship, we are an independent family who is happy and we do whatever we want as long as it's fun, healthy and benefits us individually and as a whole.

Judge me as a bad mom, but I can't wait until Maximus goes back to school. Two more days.

I don't typically use my blog as a venting ground, but hopefully other moms who read this can relate. Maximus is at an age where he wants to be independent and challenges us. He talks back and tells me "no", so he gets in trouble. I feel like the last four days all I have been doing is disciplining him because that battle is constant and I'm NOT a mom who will be walked on by her toddler.

He needs to know he can't get away with certain things:
  • He screams in a restaurant and disturbs others- he gets taken from the restaurant and receives a good hearty threat from Jesse.
  • He kicks me- he gets put in his room until he's ready to apologize.
  • He calls us a bad name- he gets a time out until he says sorry.
  • He has drama over dinner- it sits there until he's hungry enough to eat, since I'm not a short order cook.
  • He doesn't clean up his toys when I ask him to (before leaving the house, before dinner, before bedtime)- he doesn't get a treat.
Now, don't think that I'm a Nazi who whips him into shape, because I'm not and I DO know how to choose my battles, but this age is frustrating. He's such a loving and perfect child 98% of the time, but that small 2% is very difficult. Maybe it's because I'm so sick? Maybe it's because I'm tired? Maybe it's because I'm depressed about not being able to run? Maybe it's all of it?

I don't know why I'm writing this for everyone to read and certain people to judge me, but I've been down lately. I'm human. Anyone who can't recognize their own faults is kidding themselves. I'm thrilled about our little baby on the way, but the day to day is sometimes difficult. Hopefully my next blog entry is all roses and happiness filled with puppies and meadows of daisys.

1 comment:

Jake and Courtney said...

Ahhh Stacey...it will all be ok and I'm positive Maximus will grow out of that phase. He's a kid...a great kid at that and your not a bad Mom for punishing him when needed. You are both great parents and Im sure with baby #2 on the way and then the doc telling you things you DIDN'T want to hear...everything just came at once and you didn't have a chance to let it all sink in. So yes, you should take a vacation or some time away from your everyday. You deserve it!!! Hang in there. I'm here if you need to chat and I'm giving you a big hug from far away.