Thursday, August 18, 2011

So Much

I'm sorry I haven't had the time to blog much lately. We are expecting our second child, due March 19th. We are so excited! This was completely unexpected, as I was in the middle of marathon training, but we are thrilled with this surprise.

This pregnancy has been difficult. Thankfully, it's nothing serious and I don't have to be on bed rest (I admire my sister for that one), I've been really sick. I haven't had more than two days pass without morning/all day sickness. Dear Maximus sits in the bathroom and reads to me when I'm sick. I love him. I have low grade cervical dysplasia and we are thankful it's not high grade which can lead to more cancer. My doctor is wonderful! I couldn't have found a better match for us. At the beginning, she encouraged my marathon training and said I could run it at 4 months pregnant.

I went in yesterday because of the sickness and I lost quite a bit of weight in 5 days. Her words to me were, "now, don't hit me when I tell you this, but I strongly advise you to stop running..." STOP RUNNING?! That's like telling a smoker they can't have anymore. Or like telling Jesse he can't ride his bike. The impact and my dehydration are doing more harm than good. I can't tell you how depressed I am after hearing that. Yeah, I sound like an ungrateful snob for saying that and do understand that I am grateful it's not worse (like bed rest), but running is my life. I need it to be a better person, partner and mother. It's hard to understand what I mean unless you're an avid runner yourself or have a healthy vice that you depend on. I will do that marathon though. I will walk most of it if I have to.

My doctor wants me to keep active and fit, just with lower impact activities: cross country skiing, snow shoeing, walking, swimming, water running, bike riding, etc. No snowboarding, running (I still can at a much slower pace, no more than one hour), skiing, mountain bike riding after week 16 or ice skating. I can still visit the gym daily and lift weights.

Really, don't think I'm a snob. I realize it could be worse and more restrictive. Jesse and I are both down in the dumps about the running thing. He saw how it made me feel and loved it.

I will keep active because it benefits the baby, the pregnancy and me. When I was pregnant with Maximus, I gained 80 pounds because I craved junky fast food and sat on my butt the entire time. After he was born, I had a bunch of excess weight and felt like crap. I didn't feel like the person I knew I could be.

We want this child to of course, be healthy and happy. I was just told this news yesterday, so it needs a bit to sink in. Of course I will do what's best for this kiddo, no matter what. I can't wait to meet this one and have Maximus hold him/her.

I so need a calm weekend. Our friends from Lincoln will be here this weekend and I am looking forward to time spent with them. Jesse and I are running Warrior Dash Sunday. Don't fret, it's a 5k and my doctor knows it isn't a serious race and encourages me to do it. Pictures will follow...

1 comment:

Carly said...

Good Luck, I am sure you will be back to running self after having your new bundle of joy!