Thursday, September 17, 2009

Shark School

Maximus started "Shark School" (swimming lessons) yesterday and HE LOVED IT! I wanted to get pictures so badly, but there was no way I could. I was in the water with him the entire time and my hands were full. Out of the 5 kids in his class, he was the only one who laughed the whole time. The other kids were scared, but not my shark. (While I'm totally bragging, I should mention that he was the youngest and tallest in the group) He learned how to blow bubbles in the water, move his arms in a paddle motion, float assisted on his back, kick (his favorite one) and then we free played. 40 minutes of containing a baby shark in his natural habitat is EXHAUSTING. My legs are completely bruised from squatting in the shallow water and falling off my bike Tuesday night.

I got a call today about an opening in the "Float for Life" program. They had no openings until November and we'll be moving back to Utah around then, so I was bummed. But there was a cancellation, so Maximus got in! It's a program that's designed to teach kids as young as 18 months how to float on their back. It's 15 minutes twice a week with a private instructor. I enrolled him because it could only help and seeing how crazy bold Maximus is, I won't be able to trust him near water EVER. I talked to the instructor today and she told me that 9 out of 10 children (even as young as 18 months) will be able to turn over and float on their back if they ever get into deep water. I'm a skeptic, but after hearing other mothers talk about the class, I'm in. Plus it gets Maximus into the water and socializes him. Why not? It can't hurt.

So, my shark goes to Shark School three times a week! Even after one day, I asked him if he was excited to go to Shark School and he ran and got his shark swimming trunks.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Duuude, that's awesome in all ways! That floating class sounds like an excellent idea. I wish I could float!

Stacey said...

OH man. He went to the first class yesterday and he floated for 3 seconds! Rarely do kids float in the first class!